Sunday, February 17, 2008

If this ever comes up again, here's a coppy.

I threw this together quickly so there might be a few flaws in it, but it will at least give you a nice review of what the other 2 times said about this.

This is assuming that I stay in Provo for Spring Semester of 2008 and also Spring Semester of 2009Money I currently have:

Wells Fargo Account: $793
Ensign Account: $1200 (this is how much money you say that I have, but considering that I just payed rent from this account recently, it might be $300 less than this)
Total : $1993

Money that I will be able to get due to my job… At $8 an hour, with 18 hours a week, between now and the end of Spring semesterThat's 16 weeks at $144 a week for a total of $2304

Once I get home I will hopefully get a job that is at LEAST $8 an hour which would be 40 hours a week for 11 weeks which would equal roughly, $3520.

That puts a grand total of money that I'll be able to earn up to Fall Semester of 2009 to, $7,817.

During the following semesters (fall 2008, winter 2009, spring 2009) I'll go back to work at Namifiers and work the job that I currently have at $8 an hour for those following semesters which will equal, 45 weeks of work for about 16 hours a day, earning me $5760. That will mean that at the end of the spring semester of 2009, if I save every penny that I ever earn or currently have, not taking a single day of vacation for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any other holiday, I'll have roughly, $13,577.

However, if I add in tithing to everything that I'll be earning, that'll reduce everything by, $1,159.

Also, if we take the super conservative route and say that I'll only be spending $25 a week on food, that reduces the total by $25 a week for 72 weeks which equals out to $1,800.

As for actually trying to live on . That means that if I only pay for food and tithing after all is said and done by the end of Spring semester 2009, I'll have $10,618.Now considering that I plan to take a day off every now and again in the next year of work, we'll be gracious and subtract 15 business days for being sick, wanting to visit home, or just wanting a day off to catch up with school work. That's roughly 5 hours a day that I won't be working at $8, so that puts things at about $600 that I'll not gain, dropping me to 10,018.

Sooner or later I would like to buy clothes. I'm wearing the same things that I wore back in 2004 and most of my clothes are starting to get old, very old. Considering that one shirt at a cheep price can cost me $20, and then a cheep pair of pants is only $30, if I'm only going to get me enough clothes to wear for a week, that's going to be seven shirts, seven pants, which totals out to $350. If we add in a pair of shoes, because shoes don't usually last 2 years, and also a complete new set of underwear (I'm running off of stuff from 2005 and in 2009 I would like some new ones) plus some socks as well (also on the old side right now) we can jump to a nice number of about $500.

This takes the total down from $10,018 to $9,518

Let's not forget taxes. We'll take the original total of $13,577 and do my taxes. Acording to the Internal Revenue Service's individual tax page, if I make that much money, then I'll be paying $1,659 in taxes. That drops me from the $9,518 to $7,859.

If we stay with this much money, I then need to pay tuition. Tuition for Fall of 2008, winter 2009, and then spring of 2009 I will be paying, $6,120 ($2,040 a semester) which drops me down to a total of only $1,739 to do anything I want with. So that means that in one year I only have $1,739 to take people out on dates, buy things that I want, or even go above and beyond with any of these examples of costs that I gave. Many of these examples that I gave above are very bare bones, more bare than what I am currently doing. If I was to run this financial plan, I would only have about $22 a week from here until the end of Spring 2009 to spend on dates, random costs of life, or anything else that comes my way. This is not enough. I could, if I really needed to run this program, but considering that I plan to buy things more than just the bare bone basics in things like clothing and food, I'll have even less than the $22 a week, it'll be around $20 or even $15 a week for personal costs and if I can avoid that level, I will. If this was my only option I could figure out a way to do it, but if I don't have to live at the poverty level of life, I'm not going to. As much as I like rice, ramen and beans for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I'm going to try to avoid it as long as I can.

Now for the plan of if I stayed for only Fall and Winter of this year, and picked up for Fall, Winter, and Spring of 2008-2009.

Starting amount stays the same from the bank accounts: $1993, working until the end of the semester will get me $1024 and then I'll move to Vegas and get a full time job from the beginning of May to the beginning of September which would be 18 weeks. 18 weeks at 40 hours a week at only $8 a week adds up to be, $5,760. Once I get back to school the math is the same as the previous example where I'd earn $5,760 (you'll notice that one summer of full time work equals the same as 3 semesters of part time work). This would mean that by the end of the spring semester of 2009, I would have $14,537. However there is one flaw with this, even if I went back to my 'old' job at Sunrise pool that was only a teenagers job according to too many people, I'd be starting out at $9 an hour. Which increases the pay difference between one example to the next. The higher that I go above $8 an hour, the bigger the difference between the two examples will be. For example, if I work at $9 during the summer, in the first example, I would earn, $3,960 however if we followed the second example I would earn $6,480. That's only a dollar difference in hourly wages, however it is $2,520 difference in pay scale. If we were lucky enough to find a job at $10 an hour the wages are $4,440 and $7,200.

Another factor that we have to pay attention to is my current standing. Assuming that I would work the same hours at the same rate as next year, I am supposedly meant to earn, $4,096 (16 hours a week, at 8 an hour for 32 weeks). If this was true. I should have $4,096 in my bank account right now. If you look back to the top of this page, I only have $793. That's a big difference. I've been living bare bones. I've gone on almost no dates, I rarely if ever eat out, and I haven't bought myself anything else besides a new hoodie so I could stay warm but not overheated in my coat while at work. Given $600 has gone towards the laptop, which I hopefully will not need to buy again next year, but that still only puts me at $1,393. There's a big difference between what I SHOULD have and what I ACTUALLY have. There's actually a %34 difference between the two. That's a third of my income that I should have, that I don't.

In review.
If I go Spring 2008, even if you pay for everything that I do, I will not be able to generate enough income to finance Fall 2008, Winter 2009, and Spring 2009. The only way that I will be able to do this is to confine myself to the library eating only rice, ramen and beans with the AC/heating turned off, only living in my apartment as short as possible so I do not use electricity or utilities.

If I do not go Spring 2008, I will be able to pay for Fall 2008, Winter 2009, and Spring 2009. I won't be living in luxury, but I will be able to afford simple entertainment and more than just rice for dinner. If I miss this Spring semester, I will be able to go next spring semester.

No comments: