Monday, April 7, 2008

Response on English Paper

You have to be kidding me.
Okay, so I get my poetry analysis back (the one about Smokey the Bear), and on the first 2 pages there is a bunch of comments and analysis of my writing, however I go from there and suddenly there is no comments about my analysis. At the very last page I get a little comment that says,
“Adam You’ve done a fine job of detailing what you’re seeing in the poem, as you’re seeing it. You have a keen mind- I have enjoyed hearing your ideas and questions this semester.
I am going to do something different with your paper than I have done with anyone else’s. I am going to have you grade your own paper. Here’s how it will work: you can respond to my comments on this copy of the paper and/or write your own comments to your paper. Then write an evaluative final statement, something that sums up what you think the paper’s strengths and weaknesses are. Then assign it a grade: A for exceptional; B for solid; C for meets expectations in an average sort of way; D for doesn’t fulfill the assignment. This doesn’t need to take a lot of time but it should discuss key points. I’m most interested in having a conversation with you about your writing.
You may turn this in through the final exam for credit.
I would then like to respond to your notes and maybe give you some suggestions for becoming an even stronger writer.
Please let me know if you have any questions.”
You have to be kidding me.
She is too lazy to comment on my paper herself and grade it. She’s the teacher, and she’s not grading my paper. Really? If my writing was that ‘strong’ she should be able to pop out an A+ and move on from there. I don’t care how innovative my writing is or how ground breaking my thoughts on Smokey the Bear can be, I just want a grade. Is that so hard to produce? Just write down a percentage, tell me why I got it, and then move on from there. If she wants to discuss with me the inner workings of my writings, make me your TA and we can talk about it as I get paid money.
I should actually bring that up when I talk to her. How that if she needs help grading things that I could be her TA next fall semester. TA’s get good money and good hours, it’s tempting to bring it up. It’s worth a shot, so I might as well.
Wow, four posts in almost no time at all. Crazy how that works out. How that we can go for a long time on FK^2 and never post and then all of the sudden, BAM! All at the same time.
Side note; yesterday was my day and I had to deal with what I dealt with. Interesting how that works out.

No comments: