Saturday, April 12, 2008

Jordan Got In On This As Well

Tonight it was an interesting evening.

Jordan and Brent started to go at it about the Olympic games in China. Brent started talking about how that it was stupid that people were protesting it and how that if China was in such a horrible state of nature that the billion people living there would do something about it. How that if it was that bad, that they would rebel. I personally think that this is a limited view of the world and that he's really quite stupid for thinking that they could rebel. If the peopl of China rebelled, what would they even do from there? Rebellion isn't as easy as he makes it sound. Also I think that it's sort of stupid of him that he even thinks that it's China who is at fault with all of this, it is the people in Burma, not all of China. Not the best argument on his part.

Jordan was arguing that people should be able to protest against the games because the Olympics are about world unity and showing global connections. That may be what in theory they are about but nothing quite says unity like, "Ha ha ha, I got first and your nation came in second". Nothing has been known to unify the entire world quite like our track stars are better than yours and we're going to make sure you know it by taking first, second, third, and just for safety fourth place as well. Real unified there. He also starts talking about how insane it is that China was even given the olypmics and how they shouldn't be held in China. Sorry Jordan, you're about 8 years too late for that. Considering they have the olympics for 2020 all planned out and where they're going to be, now is not the time to start criticizing where the olympics will be held. His final argument was that America has boycotted world events on smaller subjects. You mean that whole comunisim thing? Comunism in Russia is a smaller subject than this? The cold war was a smaller subject? Interesting view on all of this.

Now to where my evening went insane and I was about to just flip out and walk out of the room. Jordan tried to play me. He turned to me, knowing that I have a slightly liberal point of view and asked me, "Adam, what do you think about all of this? Am I right?"

He was looking for me to jump in and save him.

I'm not going to fight your fight Jordan. I'm not going to do your dirty work, and I'm not going to deal with something that none of us quite have enough information on to decide one way or another.

I've had enough, I'm just going to live in the library and in my bedroom underneath six blankets with my headphones on. I don't get where these people get off on trying to use me. I'm not going to just follow you people around jumping through the hoops that you set infront of me just becasue you want to. Really when it comes to the olympics, I could care less. In the world politics taht we're dealing with daily and all of the things that could possibly be adressed on a world stage, this is it? What would it even do if American athletes didn't go? I'd actually sort of like to see that just to see the difference in the competitions. Finally we wouldn't see America sweep golds from every other country in the world. Finally someone else would have a chance.

I've had enough of this. I'm happy that the semester is almost over.

No comments: