Monday, March 24, 2008

gotta love college

“The constant presence of male power and control in the life of every woman is what leads me to say that all women are, like me, hookers. A woman in a bank or a restaurant is working for an agreed upon payment. However the bank or restaurant is no different from the streets in male control of payment for work done. On the streets, pimps set the prices for all hookers for a particular service. Regardless of whether a hooker works for a pimp or not, she is in trouble if she overcharges or undercharges, relative to this fee schedule. Only men can be pimps. It is not possible for a woman to break through the “ceiling” that separates pimps from hookers. How is this situation different from that in a bank or restaurant?
I rented my body out for sexual services while other women rent out their talents for counting money or clearing tables. Or women may be wives at home or wives that go home after work in order to work again under male controlled situations. I did sex work, but then, so does a woman in an office that is required to look pleasing to men in appearance and is subject to sexual harassment. And so, I maintain, all women are hookers.”
(Terri-Lee d’Aaron, “I’m a Hooker: Every Woman’s Profession”, excerpted from Teays “Second Thoughts” 1st edition, p. 229, Mayfield Pub.)

No comments: